In the latest issue of People magazine, Lance Bass of N SYNC pop group has come out as gay. My first thought was "good grief, it's about time!" This guy has been spotted time and time again out and about with Reichen Lehmkuhl, from Amazing Race. The gay community is not anonymous and people talk and blog! Duh!
In the spirit of being "to thine ownself be true," here is a list of celebrities that I would like to see follow suit (in no particular order).
1. Jodie Foster-she has been seen wearing a ring identical to that of her female "constant companion," Cydney Bernard with whom she raises her son. The time has come grrrrl!
2. Richard Simmons- jokes about his short shorts aside, he really has nothing to lose by coming out. People would still love or hate him and it might just revitalize his career.
3. Vin Diesel- my friend has worked on a film set with this actor and apparently he was very open about his sexuality. That having been said, he's not out.
4. Kevin Spacey- There have been rumours about this guy for years. He's has never answered questions on his sexuality. In an Esquire magazine article in 1997 he implied he was gay but later appeared to backtrack.
5. Sean Hayes- the actor who played "Jack" from Will and Grace. I doubt that anyone would stop hiring him for roles. It's kind of a no-brainer.
6. Ricky Martin- This actually isn't wishful thinking. The ankle bracelet seals the deal! :)
7. Little Richard- Yes "Tutti-fruity" does mean what you thought it did... - But then again, even my mom was surprised when I mentioned this...
Here's some that took the closet to their grave:
Liberace - He was just ridiculous in denying he was gay over and over. The topper was when he said he was on a "watermelon diet" when he was actually dying of AIDS.
Luther Vandross- It was an open secret in Hollywood apparently. People loved him and it wouldn't have changed a thing had he just come out!
I know I'm forgetting a ton of people. Others like Tom Cruise, I'm not going to even bother with (although if you haven't seen the South Park episode, you really should!). If you have someone else you'd like to tell "come out already!" go ahead and put them in the comment section at the bottom.
Final thoughts: Sorry for the Jerry Springer nature of this post. But in my experience, being in the closet takes an enormous amount of effort, energy, and strain/stress. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was in the public eye, which thankfully I'm not. I will say that my life and my clothes look brighter from the outside looking in than vice versa.