Monday, September 11, 2006

Mold Me and Make Me

Back when I was in Seoul, my friend had someone from Turkey visiting him. One day, he asked me to show his Turkish friend around because he had to work. As the Turk was coming from a land famous for Turkish baths and had limited English, I decided to take him to a jimjilbang in Myeongdong. After our obligatory shower and soak in the different hottubs, he asked about possibly getting a massage which I readily agreed to as well.

While we were getting our massages, my mind started to wander (as it often does) about the nature of massages. I was first introduced to the world of massage many years ago through my cousin, who has been working in that field for awhile, though never as an actual massage therapist herself(although she did go through all the classes and has the certification). Since that time I've gotten massages (of various qualities) in most of the countries I've visited, even North Korea.

Everytime I get a massage, I'm struck with what a spiritual experience it can be (given someone with the proper training). I don't think many Christians are aware of all the connections. For example, usually I go in with these preconceived ideas of what I want done to me- usually it's my shoulders, arms and hands. However after the massage, I'm always surprised that the therapist always knew what I needed- in this instance finding the tension on the back of my legs or on my gluteus maximus!

God has been this way with me as well. Usually in my prayertime spent with God, I have a grocery list of things that I want. But God always surprises me with what I need. For example, this past extra year in Korea with my partner was not what I wanted at all but it turned out to be exactly what I needed, just like when I'm on the massage table. As Billy Graham has said "Yes, God does know what we need. But often we don't know what we need! One reason we need to pray therefore, is so we'll stop and realize just how dependent we are on him."

Another realization about massage is that it is not as passive as I had assumed. Both parties have to work together to be successful. I learned that submission is action, not inaction. Of course this is what faith in God is, basically the action of working with God while He does His job! There is the old phrase "Let Go and Let God" which I always thought was trite until I was on the massage table. When I'm there, I have to make myself vulnerable, lay down my physical and emotional self, and put my faith/trust in the massage therapist. The same steps are necessary in when we are in God's presence.

But it hurts when you get what you need, doesn't it? And sometimes it hurts BAD! There may even be tears shed. However, as in my first massage, the therapist had me breathe deeply when I was in pain and then release while trying to relax. And it's at that moment when the healing can begin to happen. When the hour is up and the therapist is finished, you rise up, refreshed, with a sense of wholeness or completeness that you didn't have before. You are ready to face life with renewed energy. This is also the object of worship and communing with God.

So in closing, there are many occupational names for God. Mother Creator, The Good Shepherd, the Great Physican, Everlasting Father, The High Priest, King of Kings, Prince of Peace, Judge of the Quick and the Dead, just to name a few. I'd like to add a new one that may help give us another insight into the nature of God: the Ultimate Massage Therapist!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...
The love of God is like a good butt massage!?!?

-Bon

Anonymous said...

I think this is a beautiful picture of what God can be to us. I love it when people (you, in this case) find God and spiritual meaning in everyday experiences.

Peace,
Daniel