Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No Day But Today

I'm not sure why I bothered to get a CD player, MP3 player or an Ipod. I seem to have a plethora of tunes stored in my head, ready to play at a moment's notice!

One of these songs, "No Day But Today," popped into my head while listening to a sermon from my minister. The sermon title was "How to Have Life and Have it More Abundantly." It was based on the scripture passage...... The pastor suggested five things to do: 1) Deal with the unhealthy choices that separate you from the authentic person you are 2) Commit to a worthy cause 3) Care for others 4) Getting outside your own problems 5) Commit to your own spiritual growth and 6) Sharing this message with others.

Then he said something so interesting I had to write it down. "The most important person in your life is the person in front of you at this moment." He told about a friend of his that had terminal cancer and how precious life was to him.

I had a flashback to the movie Rent where Mimi sings to Rodger "I live this moment as my last." Although it sounds cliche, the present really is a present. That's one of the reasons I enjoy activities like swing dancing or tai chi. You must be truly present to do well. You really can't be thinking of other things. If you start to worry and obsess, then you anticipate what will happen next and usually you'll be wrong.

There was a scene from the drama "Six Feet Under" that I'm reminded of here. A mourner asks one of the morticians "Why do we have to die?" After a short pause he replied, "To give life meaning." The unknown amount of our mortal life necessitates that we make every moment count.

My friend Mandy once gave me one of the nicest compliments. I was wondering why so many people wanted to attend our Korean farewell party. She told me "When you are with someone, you make them feel special."

So today I'd like to encourage you to live this moment as your last. In your dealings with others, be really present. And live your life abundantly! Carpe diem!

1 comment:

Sassiekiwi said...

Hi Dan

Great post ... I wrote a spoof song a while back that we have been playing in the band (it's called a reality country song). Although its a silly song, there are some serious points in it and one of the lines goes, "be present in this place ..."

It's so true. Being present in the now ... being fully aware of the moment and taking time to just be in it and appreciate it for what it is - whether you are with someone or by yourself. So often we dash from one thing to the next, always looking ahead to the next thing and not stopping. We miss a lot.

Thanks for the reminder.