Sunday, February 03, 2008

I Am God's Special Creation

I love my church. I love love it. Today to proclaim Black History Month, we had an amazing member of our church talk about her life experiences as a young black immigrant woman in Canada. She concluded with a Marianne Williamson quotation that Nelson Mandela used in his 1994 Inaugural Speech. Check it out!


Our Greatest Fear
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves,
Who am I to be brilliant,gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
Isn't that amazing!? Such a refreshing perspective!
For our special music we had this talented performer sing first Somewhere Over the Rainbow and then Gloria Gaynor's "I Am What I Am." It brought the house down. Standing ovation. Tears all around me. It blew everyone away. I'm including it here with the change that he made in the lyrics. It's my hope that these messages will encourage, inspire and challenge you as they have done the same to me!
I am what I am
I am God's own special creation
So come take a look
Give me the hook
Or the ovation
It's my world
That I want to have a little pride
My world
And it's not a place I have to hide in
Life's not worth a damn
Till I can say "I am what I am "
I am what I am
I don't want praise
I don't want pity
I bang my own drum
Some think it's noise
I think it's pretty
And so what if I love each sparkle and each bangle?
Why not see things from a different angle ?
Your life is a sham
Till you can shout out
I am what I am!
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the aces, sometimes the deuces
It's one life and there's no return and no deposit
One life so it's time to open up your closet
Life's not worth a damn till you can shout out
I am what I am
I am useful
I am I am
I am true
I am somebody
I am as good as you
Yes I am

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This church is so YOU! Such a cool service.