Wednesday, March 26, 2008

(This Song's Just) Six Words Long

One of my collegues read this article in the Toronto Star and suggested I try it with my writing class. Being gifted with verbosity, I've often struggled with how to say more by writing less. This is why I find haikus and children's literature so fascinating!
So when given the opportunity to write my life story in only six words, I jumped at the chance!

As with all good writers, I had to read what everyone else had done to get an idea of what worked and what didn't work.
People often went for lists. Tea. Riesling. Pinot. Zinfandel. Creemore. Horlicks. (Jamie Drummond, Sommelier, Jamie Kennedy Kitchens)
Others had two short sentences. Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, wrote: "Me see world. Me write stories."
However, what attracted me most were the one-liners that brilliantly said it all, headline-style. Battled injustice wherever I saw it. (Michel Ladouceur, Kingston)

So here's mine. Sadly I couldn't just have one BUT had to have two. Enjoy!

Kansas boy becomes man in Korea.

Search for peace, joy and love discontinued.

Share your story. If you dare! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! I'm so impressed that you could sum up your life in 6 words (the second one is 7 words, sorry!). I definitely need to give this thought before choosing so few words. Your top one is brilliant and fits you perfectly. Not too sure about the second one...

Danifesto said...

DOH! Okay just take out the "and!" Good call! :)

Lance Noe said...

I would go with the title of my blog


"Yokel boy makes good!"

Sassiekiwi said...

I don't know! BUT ... time for a new post Mr Grummon!

Jenny Cooper said...

Mine would be...

Wandering feet always brought her home.

Maybe. I am still working on it. ;)