Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dance Naked! (But Only If You Want To...)

As I've posted before, my partner and I have been frequenting the local YMCA. I'm pleased to report that, not only is this still ongoing, but there have been gains, both physically and personally. I have learned some valuable lessons as well.

First, those weight machines are adjustable for the vertically-challenged! Good to know! It really does make a world of difference when one's feet can touch the floor!

Second, the right kind of music is essential to making the time fly by (Who knew that "Material Girl" and "Go West" would rock out so well?) (And while I'm on the subject- I feel the need to mention that this year's "must-have accessory" for the gym is an MP3 player. It pains me when I see some poor guy stopping on his treadmill to change CDs!)

Third, if your body happens to make a noise as the natural result of clenching and straining, denial is a completely acceptable response. Not only is a verbal apology to the room unnecessary but the confirmation of our suspicions makes it worse!

The hardest lesson I've been learning is how to be comfortable without clothes.

There is this episode of Sex in the City where Charlotte confronts the exact same issue. Embarrassed about her body, she can't disrobe in front of all the women in the steamroom. The girls take off their towels, except for Charlotte, who tells them it is too hot and she isn't comfortable, and she leaves. Carrie follows Charlotte out and asks her what's wrong.
Charlotte: I didn't grow up in a naked house!
Carrie: Well I didn't either.
Charlotte: [nodding at a naked woman behind them] I bet she grew up in a naked house.
Carrie: She might still live in a naked house! (source)

Like Charlotte, I didn't grow up in a "naked house" either and later in life, I was surprised to realize this was not the norm. Many of the people I talked to, by the time they reached adulthood, nudity had become so de rigueur, it lost all eroticism.

I, on the other hand, had problems starting with first grade. It was the first time I was away from my home all day long and I declined to go to the bathroom with all the other kids. Because of that I got a urinary tract infection and visited the nurse's office once everyday to use her private bathroom and leave her a note so she knew I went. Today, things are better but I still don't get people who are able to simulateously tinkle and talk! Later in junior high/freshman physical education, I was scarred by having to actually shower and change around other people. I did it just like I ate my veggies, as quickly as possible. The first time I went to a sauna was in Korea, where I was the only foreigner and the hairiest person by far. And when Korean men gawked, it was because they had never seen a white guy nude before and were simply curious. And now in my thirties, I'm still dealing with the same issue in the locker room of our YMCA.

Even though my body is full of imperfections, I have come to slowly realize that everyone around me is imperfect as well (albeit in different ways). While I will probably never join a nudist colony or choose something other than the clothing option at a local beach, I do get the point that our bodies are just bodies. I suppose in a way nudity is a class equalizer. No one really cares about your designer clothes or new shoes or judges your fashion sense when you are nude. God sees us in a very similar way. When we return to how we came into the world (a.k.a. our "birthday suits"), we are all more vulnerable to being hurt. For that reason, I would like to think that we are also nicer to each other, giving more space, speaking less and being polite when we do say something.

At the end of the Sex in the City episode, Charlotte returns to the spa where she nervously forces herself to disrobe in the steam room. She is validated when another woman says "I'd kill for your breasts." And Charlotte shly smiles and nods her thanks!

Maybe someday I'll get there too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm ... thoughtful post Dan. Reminds me of something I liked when living in France. It is a really normal thing for women to go topless on the beach there (me ... I couldn't even begin to get near a BIKINI ... let alone anything else!) ...

I was sitting on the beach in Nice one day and I really enjoyed the fact that people were on that beach topless whether they were 65 and fat and 20 and looking like a model. No one batted an eyelid and people were just really comfortable with their bodies, no matter the size and shape. I remember thinking that even though I was not there in terms of body image, it was a really healthy thing.

I think America is really body obsessed - just look at images in the media ... yet in that, look at the results ... very few people running along with normal bodies ... tons of eating disorders, obesity epidemics ... i'm all for taking a leaf from the book of Europeans ...

Good post.

Sarah

*~* Linda *~* said...

/|\
|
|
agrees with

superfically: I love Sex in the City!! Never saw it when it was origianally aired, but I am enjoying the syndication on TBS now.

personally: one of the things I am doing right now is a photography project that I am participating in that forces me to look at myself and get comfortable within my own skin. It's a project where you take a self-portrait, everyday, for 365days. The first week was SOOOO hard because I don't consider myself to be photogenic and you see LOTS of flaws when you take pictures of yourself. But I'm getting over it. Slowly, and I still have a long way to go, but it's been very helpful (and I'm only on day 21).

But I'm still not letting anyone see those ugly stretch marks for birthin' muh babies!

Jenny Cooper said...

Hmmmm...

Here are my iPod picks for working out--some might be a bit surprising, and some might be a bit humorous (in no particular order...):

Let's Get It Started: Because, hey, let's face it, if Fergie can't get you excited about working out, who can?!

It's Raining Men: A girl can dream while working out on the eliptical

99 Luftballons: Translating it from German makes the 45 minutes on the treadmill look like a walk in the park!

I'm Every Woman: Because I am! ;)

Anything by Justin Timberlake: As a closet fan, I must admit, he is bringing Sexy/Back!

Hey Ya!: Nothing like shaking it like a polaroid picture...

Turn Me On (Jon Lyttle): Just a little club inspiration to push you a bit farther...

We Will Rock You: What a triumphant ending!

But onto more important issues...

Being comfortable in your own skin is hard--you have to be comfortable with what is underneath before you can be an open nudist, I think. If you don't like who are you inside, you definitely won't like your outside. You can look like Giselle and still hate your body (IE Charlotte) because there might be something inside that is hard to learn to love. Once you learn that... who knows what doors (or zippers!) will open!

J

Anonymous said...

All of the reasons you mention are why I have a Nordic Track machine in my house so I can exercise in the privacy of my own home. Like many women, there have only been a few brief months in my entire life when I felt really comfortable with the way I looked - it's sad the way Americans are appearance-obsessed, but most of us seem to be wired that way. If I took all the money I spend on make-up, hair coloring and diet and fitness stuff, I could afford a trip around the world!

Threnody said...

So funny that I'd stumble upon your blog. I just quit the very same YMCA about three weeks ago. Have you not noticed the weight room there is TINY and full of inconsiderate jerks that hog equipment and NEVER put the weights back?

Now I go to Yonge St Fitness which brings its own set of problems. It's just too damn gay, and now I feel like I have to be all done up when I go the gym.

Anyways, before I quit I wrote a list of annoying people at the gym. I wonder if one of them is you! :P