Thursday, January 04, 2007

First Day of My Life

The scene: Christmas Eve Midnight Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes.

While sitting in the candlelight, listening to the choir sing songs especially prepared for this most holy of occasions, my eyes fall upon the thoughtful devotion written below:

" 'When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the child leaped in her womb.' Words have the power to change lives, in fact to change the world. The stories of Mary and Elizabeth are proof of this. What word does the story of your life tell? Mary and Elizabeth, each one separately and both together, allowed their hope and courage to be stronger than the doubts and judgements of others. They encouraged and supported each other. They celebrated and praised God for the gift they were to each other..."

At this moment, I had a flashback to earlier that morning when my partner and I were opening presents (he could not wait another day). After we had depleted our piles of gifts, I mentioned there was one more. He denied that there were more from his end. I said I had one more gift.

I went out of the living room and came back with a small box shaped like a Chinese delivery box. Inside was a giant silver fortune cookie with hinges. When this "cookie" was opened, inside was a slip of paper with the words "나와 결혼해 추세요" (Will you marry me?) with this ring around it. He said "yes" and we hugged and kissed for a long time. Then, trying not to cry (unsuccessfully), I attempted to sing my own version of this poignant song by Bright Eyes. (My rendition is below, the link is to the original on YouTube. Fun fact: This music video was directed by John Cameron Mitchell, creator and actor of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.)

Anyway so that's our news. It may not come as a surprise for most of you (this being our fifth Christmas together) and some of you smart readers even caught hints dropped in previous posts! We'll post further details when they become known to us!

Happy New Year Everyone!

This is the first day of my life,
Glad I didn't die before I met you
But now I don't care I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy.

Remember the time we drove all night
To see the sunrise in the morning
And I thought it was strange
You said everything changed
You felt as if you'd just woke up

Yours is the first face that I saw
Think I was blind before I met you
I don't know where I am I don't know where I've been
But I know where I want to go

So I thought I'd let you know
That these things take forever
I especially am slow
But I realized that I need you
And I wondered if we could grow old

So if you wanna be with me
With these things there's no telling
We just have to wait and see
But I'd rather be working for a paycheck
Than waiting to win the lottery
Besides maybe this time it's different
I mean I really think you love me...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan and Anteck,

Congrats on your recent engagement. We are both so happy for you and know that you will live the happiest heathiest life as one together. Your spirits are wonderful and we wish you nothing but the best life together.

MUAH LOVE YA"S LOTS !!!!

S&J

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the both of you! What a great way to start the new year off. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing you and Anteck in Toronto.

All the best,

Nada

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Anteck 'Hyung' and Dan! Please let us know about your wedding plan and we will try our best to be there! It's always great to hear that two people (sometimes more than 2..:)) decide to celebrate their love to each other. I didn't see that until I met mine =). Love you both and keep us posted.

J&S from Vancouver

Kethryvis said...

As a friend of mine on LiveJournal often says to me... "LEGIONS OF LINE DANCING RODENTS!!" (conga rats, get it? :))

At any rate, HUGE congrats on your soon-to-be combined future! I'm so excited and happy for you both! Here's to a long and happy life together.

Anonymous said...

My Christmas card to Jim this year had these words inside, which summed up my feelings perfectly:

"Let me tell you why I fell in love with you...
Because you were the man I had always dreamed of, but you were not at all what I expected...
I fell in love with you because I looked in your eyes and saw my soul's companion...
Because I heard your voice and knew I'd found my heart's desire...
I fell in love with you in one moment. I married you because I needed a lifetime to tell you why..."

Tell each other why every single day - it's that important to the relationship. Congratulations and tons of good wishes for you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new engagement. We are so happy for you. you know they say that each time a queer couple gets engaged or married an angel gets his/her wings:)

Mickie & Leah

Record Store Geek said...

I am so excited and thrilled for the both of you. Just let me know when and where and I will be there to celebrate the day!

Anonymous said...

GREAT NEWS! Congratulations, I'm happy for you and not at all jealous. I hope to be there to share in the big day! Love, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Danny and AnTaek,
So happy for you. I can't think of a better Christmas present...for me! A new cousin-in-law!!

Love, Mindy

Anonymous said...

Danny and AnTaek,

So happy for you. I can't think of a better Christmas present...to me!!! A new cousin-in-law!
Love, Mindy

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you two. It was great meeting and working with you, even for a few months.

Best,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Add me to the long list of congratulaters. I'm also so very happy and excited for you. This will be a new chapter in your life and a best chapter yet!

It was great to meet AnTaek and to see you two in action together. You really do make a great team!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. What a wonderful way to start a new year. When is the wedding day to be?

Blessings on the next stage of your life together.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news! I am sooo happy for the two of you. I wish you many blessings in the New Year and in your future union.

Tracy