Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Singin' In the Rain

One of my favourite memories of the now defunct television series Ally McBeal took place in the psychologist's office. The psychologist, played by a brilliant Tracey Ullman, prescribed a "theme song" for Ally to get over her "Billy Blues" (Billy, her coworker and former flame, had gotten married and was no longer available). The psychologist's theme song, of course, was "Tracy."

One of the reasons I loved this show so much is that music played such a starring role. From Vonda Sheppard's thoughtful interludes, to the Biscuit's channeling Barry White's "You're the First, the Last, My Everything," to Robert Downey Jr. (another Ally love interest) singing Joni Mitchell's "River,"(not to mention the guest appearances of Sting, Barry Manilow, Jon Bon Jovi and Tina Turner) Ally McBeal truly had music in its soul.

I've always felt a little like Ally in the sense that I (like many of you out there) have music in my head, playing most of the time. And in difficult times, having a "theme song" really did help me get through. Some people have postive affirmations that they repeat to themselves ("I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it! People like me!") and some have visual slogans or mottos that they post around as reminders ("This is the first day of the rest of your life!"). Ally McBeal and I use music.

I have recommended "theme songs" so many times to buddies in bad times that I've even thought about putting together a collection of my favourites as a starting point for them to find their own. Here's a few of the songs that leap to my mind in no particular order: (lyrics link in the title, YouTube link in the artist's name)

"Through Rain"- Mariah Carey -I like how she emphasizes clinging to her faith in order to get through "the rain" just one more day.
"Stronger"-Britney Spears - Mock if you will (I totally would!) but I love how affirming the lyrics are.
"When the Heartache is Over"- Tina Turner -This woman has lived it and worked it. I have so much respect for her.
"Believe"-Cher - Another hard-working diva with a long career, who has the gift of perspective.
"I Will Survive"-Gloria Gaynor- There's a reason why gays have embraced this song and made it their anthem. It's filled with the universal message of hope for a better tomorrow.
"Ooh Child"- Spinners- Whenever I hear this song I remember Spike Lee's movie, Crooklyn, and an inspiration named Troy.
"Upside-Down"-Tori Amos- "I found the secret to life. I'm okay when everything is not okay."
"I Gotta Get Thru This"- Daniel Bedingfield- True, the soulful acoustic version is more in keeping with the meaning of the song. However this YouTube version features scenes of my 'hood in Toronto so that's why I featured it here.

Of course there are many more. I haven't even touched on hymns! But I think I'll stop here and let you all have a chance. Are there any songs that you've used in the past (or present or future) to get through your dark days? Do share!

I've also noticed that my list lacks more than one artist with that Y chromosome. "Why?" you may ask? I haven't a clue. Feel free to suggest a couple to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, crooklyn...LOVED that movie...have we ever talked about this? p.s. don't forget to see monsoon wedding.

nat

Anonymous said...

The only songs that come to mind for me are:

Believe in Yourself - from The Wiz
Out Here on My Own - from Fame
At the Ballet - from Chorus Line

What does it say about me that they are all from musicals?

I was going to mock Mariah and then had to laugh when you said to go ahead and mock Britney. I've always loved 'Ooh Child'. What a great song!

Anonymous said...

First to come to mind:
Only Getting Started - Steven Curtis Chapman (between the lyrics and the peppy tune--can't help but start the day right--plus it's a Y chromosome for ya)
Never Alone - Barlow Girl

A.H.