In the past month I've been shocked and appalled by the amount of propaganda that the Republicans have been feeding the American public. Not only have there been misrepresentations about the Canadian health care system, but the British as well. Since Danifesto has had to address this with friends back home on several occasions, the subject might as well be posted on here for future reference! (Go here for the myths about Canadian health care)
And while I'm at it, let's just call a spade a spade. The fact of the matter is that the people making the most noise about this are the very same ones who didn't vote for Obama in the first place.They wouldn't be happy with anything he tried to do because they were unhappy he got voted in. Maybe some of their fear is based on actual health care but I suspect at the root of the issue, they just don't like him. It's personal and that leads to irrational crazy talk.
This leads me to the common myths about Obama's vision for the health of the US. The following list is the best summary I've yet to come across.(Please feel free to follow the links at the bottom of the page for further reference!) The truth shall set you free dear readers!
Lie #1: President Obama wants to euthanize your grandma!!!
The truth: These accusations—of "death panels" and forced euthanasia—are, of course, flatly untrue. As an article from the Associated Press puts it: "No 'death panel' in health care bill."4 What's the real deal? Reform legislation includes a provision, supported by the AARP, to offer senior citizens access to a professional medical counselor who will provide them with information on preparing a living will and other issues facing older Americans.5
Lie #2: Democrats are going to outlaw private insurance and force you into a government plan!!!
The truth: With reform, choices will increase, not decrease. Obama's reform plans will create a health insurance exchange, a one-stop shopping marketplace for affordable, high-quality insurance options.6 Included in the exchange is the public health insurance option—a nationwide plan with a broad network of providers—that will operate alongside private insurance companies, injecting competition into the market to drive quality up and costs down.7
If you're happy with your coverage and doctors, you can keep them.8 But the new public plan will expand choices to millions of businesses or individuals who choose to opt into it, including many who simply can't afford health care now.
Lie #3: President Obama wants to implement Soviet-style rationing!!!
The truth: Health care reform will expand access to high-quality health insurance, and give individuals, families, and businesses more choices for coverage. Right now, big corporations decide whether to give you coverage, what doctors you get to see, and whether a particular procedure or medicine is covered—that is rationed care. And a big part of reform is to stop that.
Health care reform will do away with some of the most nefarious aspects of this rationing: discrimination for pre-existing conditions, insurers that cancel coverage when you get sick, gender discrimination, and lifetime and yearly limits on coverage.9 And outside of that, as noted above, reform will increase insurance options, not force anyone into a rationed situation.
Lie #4: Obama is secretly plotting to cut senior citizens' Medicare benefits!!!
The truth: Health care reform plans will not reduce Medicare benefits.10 Reform includes savings from Medicare that are unrelated to patient care—in fact, the savings comes from cutting billions of dollars in overpayments to insurance companies and eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse.11
Lie #5: Obama's health care plan will bankrupt America!!!
The truth: We need health care reform now in order to prevent bankruptcy—to control spiraling costs that affect individuals, families, small businesses, and the American economy.
Right now, we spend more than $2 trillion dollars a year on health care.12 The average family premium is projected to rise to over $22,000 in the next decade13—and each year, nearly a million people face bankruptcy because of medical expenses.14 Reform, with an affordable, high-quality public option that can spur competition, is necessary to bring down skyrocketing costs. Also, President Obama's reform plans would be fully paid for over 10 years and not add a penny to the deficit.15
P.S. Want more? Check out this great new White House "Reality Check" website or this excellent piece from Health Care for America Now on some of the most outrageous lies.
1. "More 'Town Halls Gone Wild': Angry Far Right Protesters Disrupt Events With 'Incomprehensible' Yelling," Think Progress, August 4, 2009.
2. "Fight the smears," Health Care for America NOW, accessed August 10, 2009.
3. "Palin Paints Picture of 'Obama Death Panel' Giving Thumbs Down to Trig," ABC News, August 7, 2009.
4. "No 'death panel' in health care bill," The Associated Press, August 10, 2009.
5. "Stop Distorting the Truth about End of Life Care," The Huffington Post, July 24, 2009.
6. "Reality Check FAQs," WhiteHouse.gov, accessed August 11, 2009.
7. "Why We Need a Public Health-Care Plan," The Wall Street Journal, June 24, 2009.
8. "Obama: 'If You Like Your Doctor, You Can Keep Your Doctor,'" The Wall Street Journal, August 15, 2009.
9. "Reality Check FAQs," WhiteHouse.gov, accessed August 10, 2009.
10. "Obama: No reduced Medicare benefits in health care reform," CNN, July 28, 2009.
11. "Reality Check FAQs," WhiteHouse.gov, accessed August 10, 2009.
12. "Reality Check FAQs," WhiteHouse.gov, accessed August 10, 2009.
13. "Premiums Run Amok," Center for American Progress, July 24, 2009. 14. "Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies," CNN, June 5, 2009.
15. "Reality Check FAQs," WhiteHouse.gov, accessed August 10, 2009.
Sources for the Five Lies:
#1: "A euthanasia mandate," The Washington Times, July 29, 2009.
#2: "It's Not An Option," Investor's Business Daily, July 15, 2009.
#3: "Rationing Health Care," The Washington Times, April 21, 2009.
#4: "60 Plus Ad Is Chock Full Of Misinformation," Media Matters for America, August 8, 2009.
#5: "Obama's 'Public' Health Plan Will Bankrupt the Nation," The National Review, May 13, 2009.